Saturday 18 February 2017

Vintage Simplicity 7332



My love of all things 70's strikes again.  Another little ebay purchase from 2016. I really liked the look of the V neck strap. I was even considering trying the stripe version with the material I was using but didn't want to risk mucking around and maybe making a complete hash of it. 



I bought this lovely light cotton linen blend from Spotlight. I think it was part of their clearance fabrics.  I'm not sure why because the fabric is just perfect.  It's that right summer blend for fabric and the combo of linen and cotton actually means a very low crush factor.  Why oh why can't there be more of these fabrics around.  I even tried to buy some more of this fabric recently on a trip to Spotlight but darn it, they only had about 1m left. 



Soooo back to the pattern.  This was a very easy pattern to work with.  I decided however, not to use the nice bias cut skirt section because it just used up too much material.  Even though these 70's style of dress are great you do need quite a lot more fabric when cutting on the bias.  Anyoldhow, I used the skirt section from one of my other 70's patterns and, in fact, I'll probably get better use out of  my other 70's patterns if I do that. 



This is also another of those smart patterns that has you attach the back bodice and back skirt together, then put in zip before attaching the front to the back. This makes inserting a zip so much easier as you don't have all that extra material to be worrying about, which might get caught up underneath when you are sewing in the zip. I absolutely love this dress. It's so comfortable and cool.  I think the pattern of the material looks fabulous.  So very happy with the end result. A perfect storm of fabric and pattern.  Hooray.  



3 comments:

  1. Hi. I've been following you for a while but this is my first comment. Great use of the fabric to show off the lines of the dress. I don't think you would have got such a great result if you had cut it on the bias anyway. Awesome pattern matching across the zip 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such very pretty fabric, and a lovely skirt section. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. I am just so happy with this dress and the fabric. I've bought some other linen blends recently and the texture just isn't as good. This was definitely a very satisfying project to make. And I've got plenty of dresses where the pattern matching just hasn't worked out. This was all good good good. Makes up for the few other projects that bombed recently.

    ReplyDelete